Theme: Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies.
Human Trafficking and Exploitation of people were on the agenda during discussions at the High Level political forum (HLPF) 2018 on Sustainable Development (9-18 July) which concludes this Friday, bringing a further and strengthened commitment to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
It is increasingly accepted that poverty, civil unrest and displacement of persons contribute to the circumstances where vulnerable people fall victim to traffickers poised to profit from the vulnerability of others. A key dimension of the RENATE Strategic Plan (2016-2021) is work towards the achievement of the SDGs.
The following Goals were specifically focused upon at the HLPF gathering:
- Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, that will be considered each year.
A glance through the SIDE EVENTS will give you an indication of the discussions during the nine days of the meetings.
47 countries are carrying out Voluntary National Reviews and you can view the video on same (02:41).
The Report of the UN Secretary General on Progress Towards the Sustainable Development Goals, is also available at : https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/18541SG_SDG_Progress_Report_2018_ECOSOC.pdf
The Sustainable Development Goals Report 2018 can be accessed here
Prepared by Anne Kelleher, RENATE Communications.