Natalja Kurčinskaja, Director, Missing Persons’ Families Support Centre in Vilniuis, Lithuania, shares newsof their recent discussions on how best to support victims of human trafficking, issues of access and the variety of possible support services schemes that might be made available in Lithuanian Municipalities.
Much discussion centred on the dilemma of how best to serve those who need the services from the Centres but are non-residents in the local municipality, or are residents locally but wish to avail of supports in another Municipality? Another consideration was whether or not the Centre can offer assistance to victims who are non-Lithuanian citizens and not registered to live in Lithuania? Additionally, what is their capacity to offer support to a victim who is homeless and of no fixed Municipality?
Currently, final works are under way to conclude renovations to the building which will house the offices of the Missing Persons’ Families Support Centre, comprising the main office, a crisis counselling centre, three shelter rooms, two bathrooms, sitting room and kitchen. It is hoped to transfer to the refurbished building in the Autumn of this year, subject to securing the final funds to complete necessary works.
RENATE wishes Natalja and all at the Centre continued success in their hugely important work.
Photograph of participants at the meeting, left to right:
- Daiva Buivydaitė-Garbštienė, head of the Social Security and Labour Ministry Social Services Department;
- Ineta Baguckienė, Support for Victims of Trafficking in Human Beings, Coordination and Prevention Commission of Vilnius Municipality, High Specialist of the Social Support Department;
- Aušrinė Garbačiauskienė, High Specialist of the Social Security and Labour Ministry Social Services Department;
- Vaiva Lazauskiene Caritas of Vilnius Archdiocese.
- Rita, volunteer;
- Natalja Kurcinskaja, Director of Missing Persons’ Families Support Centre;
- Eitvydas Bingelis, Social Security and Labour Vice-Minister;
Prepared by Anne Kelleher, RENATE Communications.